Hopi Ear Candling
It is believed that the Ancient Greeks used ear candles, initially for cleansing, purifying and healing on a spiritual basis, but much later on a purely physical basis. The practice reached the modern world via the Native American Hopi Indians of North Arizona, hence where the Hopi Ear candle name arrived from. The Indians possess great medicinal knowledge and the Hopi nation is renowned for their extensive healing skills.
Why have an ear candling treatment?
- It is gentle & non-invasive
- The safe production of the heat when added to the beneficial natural ingredients is one of the traditional methods of easing pain and discomfort
- It is a relaxing, therapeutic treatment which can be used as an alternative to the conventional method of syringing to remove ear wax.
Some conditions (although this list is not exhaustive) that can be helped through this treatment are:
- Excessive or compacted ear wax
- Allergic rhinitis
- Colds, Headaches, Migraines
- Bells Palsy
- Menieres disease
- Flying problems – ear pressure
- Swimmers ear, Divers ear, Surfers ear
How can it help these conditions?
The traditional Hopi candles are made from natural ingredients, which once heat is added to will act like a chimney flu that the warm herbal vapours will soothe and then draw any impurities to the surface. This is why multiple sessions are sometimes required dependant on what the ailment is or blockage.
Physically the client may feel the benefits of a clearer head, ear & sinus passage giving them a better overall feeling of well being. Any blockages can negatively impact the body’s resilience of their immune system so it is very important to not let anything build, because toxins in the body or the energy field will only hinder a person’s progress. Mentally they can experience a clearer head and emotionally feel relaxed as stress elements can also be released through this therapeutic treatment.
Here at Find Your Balance I include massage around the ears, eyes, nose and face to stimulate the body’s own natural healing properties to support the client in getting the best results from this treatment, and as with all my treatments the reiki energy will also be flowing at the same time as Reiki is never switched off from my hands and if needed it will be activated through this close contact treatment.
How it works
The client will remain fully clothed and lie down on their side on a massage bed/couch after they have received some facial massage. I will place the Hopi Ear candle just inside the ear canal as far as it is comfortable. The candle is then lit and acts as a vacuum, which draws out impurities and relieves pressure in the head, ears and sinuses. The actual Hopi ear candle is made from cotton and the following ingredients:
- 100% Bees wax which is anti-inflammatory & fights infections
- Honey extracts which helps the body to release its own antibodies
- Sage which is anti-inflammatory and astringent (tightening of the skin and bloods vessels which reduces blood flow and muscous secretions) stimulates the lymph and increases blood circulation
- St Johns Wort which is anti-inflammatory and astringent. It is gently relaxing and has a restorative effect on the nervous system
- Chamomile is anti-inflammatory, astringent and is used for mental stress and anxiety and nervous excitability
- Beta- Carotene (Vitamin A) fights infections and strengthens the immune system
It is the combination of the above ingredients (which is the traditional formula) that aids the success of the treatment as the candle acts like a chimney which draws away and burns any impurities that are lifted and maybe causing, physical, mental or emotional blockages. The removal of these impurities may be felt by the client over the days following a treatment, and it has been known to loosen ear wax overnight whilst sleeping, which may require a protective disposable sheet to be placed over the pillow (this is different for every client dependant on what issues they were having with their ears) as protection.